2021 Cop26 global Climate Change Conference is taking place in Glasgow from Oct 31st to Nov 12th
Simple put, the purpose of the conference is to gain commitment from governments, institutions and business around the world to reduce emissions and commit to climate change reducing policies.
Cop26’ primary aim is very clear; to secure global net zero emissions by 2050 to keep a 1.5 degree increase in temperature within reach.
The steps that Purple Surgical have and are taking to contribute to the reduction of climate change pollutants.
In no particular order:
- We currently estimate that we recycle approx. 90% of all incoming cardboard, paper & plastic packaging.
- At Culmhead we generate 15% of our electricity requirement via our own on-site wind & solar power.
- Over the last 3 years we have planted 2,500 trees in the UK & Africa and we are increasing this commitment to 2,500 trees per year from January 2022.
- Four years ago we stopped printing product literature, with all details now available electronically.
- Over the last 24 months we have steadily eliminated our plastic on plastic pouches in favour of paper on plastic.
- We work closely with our Customer Procedure Tray partners to significantly reduce individual product packaging waste and we actively promote CPTs and kits to our global customer base to improve efficiencies and reduce waste. Click on link: View Resource (actoapp.com)
- Three years ago we began eliminating our bleached white boxes in favour of unbleached brown cartons.
- We are in the process of installing our first electric car charging point at Shenley and are looking at the viability of doing the same at Culmhead.
- We are reviewing whether we can replace the 20,000 printed DFU’s we produce each month for electronic QR codes.
- We are reviewing whether installing timers (rather than switches) are the most efficient way to reduce electricity consumption.
- We are seeking to undertake less international air travel and conduct more video conference calls.